Saturday, December 20, 2008

Our Nutcracker Tradition

Grandma and Girls
Today


Grandma and Girls
Vegas 2006


Oh I just love going to see The Nutcracker at Christmas. I love hearing the orchestra tune up and watching the people file into the hall. I love seeing all the little girls dressed up in their prettiest Christmas dresses to attend the production that is a tradition for many of them. Today marked the third year in a row of seeing the ballet with my daughters and mother. I saw The Nutcracker several times growing up but I don't think I ever knew the story as well as my girls. Grandma got their schema activated before the first visit (when they were three) by reading them the story and preparing them for what they were to see. I was nervous during that first trip to the ballet; I didn't know if they'd be able to sit through it. They were wonderful though, quite mesmerized. I can remember them carrying their little purses and looking so darling. I remember smiling at people when they asked, Are they twins?

Now at 5 years old, they are familiar with all the characters and can re-tell the story. Kate was looking forward to seeing Mother Ginger today and Gracie wanted to see the Mouse King. Both girls want to be Clara someday. Dream big, my little ballerinas. How wonderful it is to believe anything is possible. I can remember feeling the same.

Mom and Girls before today's performance



2 comments:

Shannon said...

What a wonderful tradition and you all look gorgeous!!!

Michelle said...

You girls look beautiful. What a fun tradition to have with your mom and your daughters.