Sunday, May 9, 2010

Carry Me, Mommy

     “What’s wrong, Mom” she asks after hearing me sniffle.

     “Nothing, honey.” I hold my breath briefly, letting the air go with a little sigh. “Everything is as it should be.”

     You are six and one half, must add the one half…very important, and I am holding you after a very long day at Disneyland. Your head is on my shoulder and your body is very heavy in my arms. Suddenly I’m keenly aware that this might be the last time I am able to hold you after a Disneyland trip and I become overwhelmed with emotion.

     You are growing so quickly & soon I won’t have the strength to support your big-girl body. Not long ago I could carry both you and your sister at the same time. You both sat on a hip as I wrapped an arm around your little bodies, cupping the back of your legs. I can still remember what your little baby body felt like resting on my hip. I can see you reaching up for me from your crib as I came into your room after a nap. “Carry me, Mommy” you would say to me.

     I feel so honored to be your mother. What a gift it is this evening to have the opportunity to hold you like this one more time. Thank you for choosing to be with me again in this life. I strive to remember how precious every moment we have together truly is. I may not be able to literally hold you much longer, but I will always carry you.

To my sweet, sweet Gracie on this Mother's Day, 2010


No comments: