Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Writing Therapy

I meant to include this entry earlier but the picture got lost in my clutter, so here it is now, better late than never! In late September, my sweet little Kate was so sick with a nasty virus that kept her out of school for four days. Having just discovered the joy of school, and not wanting to miss a minute of it, she was pretty blue. During those days, whenever she could muster some energy, I found her writing and drawing pictures. She wrote a Halloween story, colored pictures for his sister, and wrote to her teacher. As the school week drew to a close, Kate was very sad because she might have to miss the Fall Festival that Friday night. She wrote a letter to her teacher expressing her sadness and had Gracie deliver it. It’s a simple little thought but a powerful one because she used writing to acknowledge some uncomfortable feelings. She drew a picture of herself and Mrs. Leubner, telling me that her teacher was wearing green because that’s what she wore on the first day of school. I love how she writes her teacher’s name at the end. Not having enough space for the second syllable, she adds it on the next line. The “b” in Leubner is reversed so it looks like her name is Mrs. Loodner. :)

Kate, I hope you continue to discover the beauty of writing as both a means to connect with others and a way to help yourself through hard times. I love you.


I may miss the fall festivool (festival).  I miss you.
I love you.  Love Kate   to miss Loodner (Mrs. Leubner)


No comments: